Monday, December 17, 2007

Eclectic Reading

I know there are probably scores of publishing executives who sit around scratching their heads trying to figure out what kids are reading. I hope they never use my son as part of a focus group. Here is a sample of the books this ten year old checked out of the library last week:

Yes, among the choices are three books on the KKK, two on Adolph Hitler (he says he wants to know what makes people think like that), biographies of Stephen Spielberg, Magellan, Willie Mays, Ben Franklin and Wild Bill Hickock plus the 1950s series Little Pear. No wonder it is difficult to find him good Christmas presents.

On this date: In 1903, the Wright brothers made the first airplane flight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this. Sign the kid up for every focus group they've got.

A 10 yr. old that wants books about racism and discrimination--MY FUTURE READERSHIP!

Last yr. my 11 yr. old read Susan Bartoletti's "Hitler's Youth." I think that is the best read on that subject. (Just in case he wants more).